Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Potato Chowder

This recipe originally comes from the Week 1 Weight Watchers book, but I modified it to make six servings instead of one. I also re-entered it into the Recipe Builder to make sure the caloric measure is accurate. The recipe called for corn from the cob; I had frozen on hand. I also added cheese or I doubt my husband would have eaten it. I really liked this chowder; I imagine it would be a good one to make and take to work for lunches this winter. Let me know what you think.

Potato Chowder

6 new potatoes (just about tennis ball size)
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 (10 oz.) bag frozen corn
1 red pepper, diced
2 (3 oz.) packages pizza-type Canadian bacon, rough chopped
3 c. skim or 1% milk
4 oz. 2% Velveeta, cubed (this is my variation)
salt and pepper to taste

Clean and pierce potatoes. Microwave on a plate on high power for 10 minutes. Allow to cool and mash with a fork (lumps and skin are all good). Meanwhile, coat a medium saucepan with Pam. Add celery, onion, corn, and red pepper. Saute over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add bacon, milk, Velveeta, and potatoes to pan; mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently. **DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL. (Because it's milk-based, the soup will scorch easily. Trust me.)

Yield: 6 servings (5)

No comments:

Post a Comment