Sunday, August 21, 2011

Italian Lentil Soup

The challenge at WW this week is to eat ONE meatless meal. I joked about it at my table and tried to forget about it as I walked through the door on the way out with an over the shoulder comment like, "I'm definitely a carnivore." Then I stumbled across this recipe in my Taste of Home: Healthy Cooking magazine. I had all of the ingredients on hand, so I figured why not? Turns out that it is a hearty meal and filling for a low points value. We've got some cooler nights coming with the onset of fall in the Northland, so this soup just might be a welcome addition to your autumn repertoire.

Italian Lentil Soup

1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. olive oil
3 1/4 c. water
1 can (14 oz.) vegetable broth
1 c. dried lentils, picked over and rinsed
3 medium carrots, sliced thin
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. dried basil
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
1 T. lemon juice
2 c. prepared brown rice, optional

In a dutch oven, saute onion and garlic until tender. Add water, broth, lentils, carrot, green pepper, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes longer, or until lentils are tender. To serve, place 1/3 c. rice in the bottom of bowl and ladle soup over top.

Yield: 6 (1 1/3 c.) servings (4 P+ without rice; 6 P+ with rice)

No comments:

Post a Comment