Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Last Lap

Now that I've participated in (and completed) three 5Ks, I've noticed a trend. The first half mile or so is brutal, the middle 2.5 miles are fantastic, and the last .2 is agonizing. I realized at my weigh-in last night that my weight loss journey has been the same. The beginning (learning to make healthy choices and control portion sizes) was grueling, the middle 9 months seemed to be easier (the more I learned the easier it got), but the end, these last 10 pounds, have been the most difficult to lose and, more importantly, keep lost. I wish I had a logical explanation. Three weeks ago I hosted my son's third birthday party on Saturday and lost two pounds by Monday's weigh-in. The next week I was completely "on plan" (as it's called in WW world) and GAINED the two pounds back. This past week I wasn't feeling the best, so I ate sporadically and didn't run at all -- with a 2.8 pound loss. Strange. The bottom line is that I've jogged too far to just give in and walk now. I need to refocus (or as Jillian and Tara would say "find my core strength") and finish this race. I really want to be at my goal weight by my 1-year WW anniversary (Nov. 2) which means I'll have to lose 2.3 pounds each week. (Seven pounds to go!) So, how do I run a 5K? One step at at time. And I'm on the last lap.

1 comment: