Monday, October 26, 2009

Baked Banana Oatmeal

I've had a handful of people approach me regarding my weight-loss. "How'd you do it?" "What do you eat?" "Give me everything you have so I can do it too." I have to admit that I'm flattered to be an inspiration to others, but I want to express that I couldn't have been as successful as I have without the love, support, and encouragement of my family, friends, and colleagues. You really don't know how much your kind compliments have affected my ability to work through temptations and make good food/activity choices. In return, I thought this might be a fun way for me to share some of the recipes I have accumulated and/or modified to fit my new lifestyle. Occasionally (especially with the onset of the Holidays) I might post something "naughty." And that's okay, because I allow myself to eat what everyone else is eating. I just make appropriate adjustments to accommodate my choices now. The number in parentheses at the end of the recipe represents the "caloric count" of the weight-loss program I'm currently following. (Get it??)

Today's recipe is one of my staples; I make it almost weekly. It is a fantastic substitute for banana bread, especially when it's warm. =) Enjoy!

Baked Banana Oatmeal

2 c. oats (I use 1 c. quick oats & 1 c. old fashioned--or whatever I have on hand)
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 c. skim or 1% milk
1/2 c. unsweetened (or natural) apple sauce
1/2 c. egg substitute (I use Better'N Eggs)
1/4 c. Splenda for Baking (it's less "artificial" tasting than plain Splenda)
1 t. vanilla
1 T. cinnamon
2 ripe bananas, smashed

Combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl. (I do it in the order listed.) Mix with a fork until well combined. Pour into 6-count giant muffin tin (about 1/2 c. each). Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Refrigerate or freeze after cooling.

Yield: 6 muffins (3)

No comments:

Post a Comment