Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Company Casserole

It's Wednesday (not Monday), but I'm hungry. I don't want to eat, so I'm going to write about eating instead. This is one of my mother-in-law's recipes. It is one of our family's favorites. I made it Sunday when I saw that rotisserie chickens were on sale at Hugo's. I give the drumsticks to the kids for lunch and use the rest of the deboned chicken for cooking. I usually buy several rotisserie chickens when they're on sale, debone them all at once, and freeze the meat into recipe-size portions. Although rotisserie chicken has a bit more calories than regular boneless, skinless breasts, it lends a richer flavor and is a nice treat once in a while. I hope you enjoy this dish as much as our family does!

Company Casserole

1 (6 oz.) box Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice Original Recipe
1 (10 oz.) package frozen broccoli florets*
1 1/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 (4 oz.) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 c. 2% shredded Cheddar cheese
1 can Healthy Request cream of celery soup
1 c. light mayonnaise
1/8 c. skim or 1% milk
1/8 c. grated Parmesan cheese

Prepare rice as per package directions; set aside. Brown chicken in skillet until cooked through; set aside.** In a 9x13" baking dish, layer rice, broccoli, chicken, mushrooms, and Cheddar cheese. In a small mixing bowl, blend cream soup, mayo, and milk; spread evenly over all. Sprinkle Parmesan on top. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Yield: 8 servings (8)

*You can substitute a bunch of fresh broccoli florets for the frozen ones; no need to precook.

**The chicken can be prepared however you prefer. I've grilled the breasts before cubing them. You could broil them, poach/steam them in a little water, or substitute with deboned rotisserie chicken, like I mentioned earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment