Sunday, January 17, 2010

Pineapple Chicken Lo Mein

I stumbled across this one in the Evangelical Covenant Church centennial cookbook I put together almost four years ago while I was looking for recipes for my non-cooking friend to try. She decided there were too many ingredients for her level and interest in cooking, so I thought I'd try my hand at American-Chinese from scratch (instead of a box). Let's just say I'm adding this one to my stash of "definitely make again." I'm only sad that my in-laws didn't get to try it... yet.

1 (20 oz.) can pineapple chunks, drained (reserve juice)
1 lb. chicken breast, cubed (1/2" pieces)
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 t. ground ginger
3 t. olive oil
2 medium carrots, julienned
1 medium green pepper, julienned
4 oz. (thin) spaghetti, cooked
3 green onions, chopped
1 T. corn starch
1/3 c. low-sodium soy sauce

Reserve 1/3 c. of the pineapple juice; set aside. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the chicken, garlic, and ginger in 2 t. olive oil until chicken is cooked through (about 6 minutes). Add carrots, green pepper, and pineapple; cook 5 minutes more. Stir in spaghetti and green onion. To the pineapple juice add remaining 1 t. olive oil, corn starch, and soy sauce; whisk until smooth. Stir the sauce into the chicken mixture. Cook for 2 minutes more or until the sauce has thickened. I served this with egg rolls, pot stickers, and cheese wontons. It was amazing!

Yield: 5 servings (6)

No comments:

Post a Comment