Monday, April 26, 2010

Sausage & Sauerkraut

This recipe appeals to my German descent (and tastes). My Scandinavian family doesn't care much for sauerkraut, but they humor me and eat it without complaint at least two times a year. I also copied down a recipe for German Potato Salad, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. When I do (and if it's good), I'll be sure to post it, too. "Disfrutar!" ((Enjoy!))

Sausage & Sauerkraut

2 (14 oz.) Jennie-O smoked turkey sausage (rings), 1-2" pieces
1 medium onion, sliced thin
1/2 t. caraway
1/4 t. pepper
1 T. olive oil
1 1/2-2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
1 (12-16 oz.) package sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
1 c. apple juice (or cider)

In a large skillet, combine oil, caraway, and pepper. Add onions; cook 6 minutes or until soft. Add diced apple; cook 3-4 minutes longer. Stir in sauerkraut, juice, and sausage. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.

Yield: 6 servings (5)

No comments:

Post a Comment