Saturday, January 22, 2011

Banana Cream of Wheat

I must be in a breakfast mood! I just made up a batch this morning, and the kids said, "Mom, that smells good." What I like about this recipe is that it makes me think of my Grandma Shirley. She would make cream of wheat for my brother and I when we stayed weekends at her house in Cass Lake. We would scoop it up with our peanut butter and jelly toast and eat it by the mouthfuls. Or sometimes she would sprinkle chocolate chips on top, and the hot farina would melt them as we stirred. Delicious memories! I also like that this recipe makes four servings, which is enough for me to take to work a couple days next week, too. That is... unless my kids eat it all this weekend. This recipe is also from Prevention's "Biggest Loser" magazine; it notes that you could substitute 100% all-natural fruit preserves for the bananas.

Banana Cream of Wheat

4 c. water
1/8 t. salt
3/4 c. uncooked original (2 1/2 minute) Cream of Wheat
1 c. mashed bananas (about two small)
1 t. cinnamon
2 T. Splenda for Baking (or other sugar substitue; it mentions Truvia)
4 T. Grape Nuts

Bring water and salt to a boil. Add Cream of Wheat, stirring constantly until well blended. Return to a soft boil and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in banana, cinnamon, and sugar substitute. Stir until well combined. Divide among four bowls. Sprinkle 1 T. Grape Nuts over each.

Yield: 4 servings [about 1 c. each] (5P+)

No comments:

Post a Comment