Monday, January 31, 2011

Toffee Bars

The first time I had these bars was this Christmas season. Just when I thought I had tried all of my mother-in-law's delectable desserts, she made these. Yummy, chocolaty, morsels of yumminess. Last week Kmart had Hershey's 6-packs on special for $2.00, and I remembered my dear MIL telling me she only makes these when she can find the chocolate on sale. Then I remembered that it was time for the January staff birthday celebration at work. Yippee! A reason to bake! Viola! So many of my colleagues asked for the recipe that I thought it would be easier to post it here. I know you'll add this recipe to your "Make All the Time" pile. =)

Toffee Bars

1 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 t. vanilla
2 c. flour
1/4 t. salt
5 Hershey bars (I used 6 minus whatever few squares my kids stole off the table.)
1/2 c. chopped nuts (I used pecans.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix butter, sugar, yolk, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Stir in the flour and salt until combined. Pat the dough into a slightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan, barely up the sides (1/2 inch). Bake 20-25 minutes. (I baked mine in an air-bake pan for 23 minutes.) Remove the pan from the oven and layer the top with Hershey chocolate squares... be generous. When chocolate has melted (it changes color), spread evenly with a spatula or the back of a spoon (a spoon is easier to lick when you're done). Sprinkle the top with the chopped nuts. Cool to room temperature and cut into squares.

Yield: 24 bars (6P+) Seriously... I didn't need to know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment