Monday, November 2, 2009

One Year Anniversary


It has been one year since I joined Weight Watchers; one year tonight. And I've lost a total of 56.8 pounds (that's 1.09 pounds per week on average). I have five pounds to go before I reach my goal weight.

In all honesty, weighing in tonight was anticlimactic for me; I had wanted to be at goal in a year, so I was a bit disappointed about that. But overall, I have much to be happy for. Julie, the meeting leader, did celebrate my victory with the group as much as she could. It was a moment I was proud of, and, for the first time in my life, I was able to accept the group's compliments and congratulations joyfully and wholeheartedly. "You look good." I feel good. "I barely recognized you." Thanks! Sometimes I barely recognize myself.

The most touching compliment I've received so far came from a close friend of mine at work. We were chatting in the staff room and another teacher joined our conversation. Shortly there after, she congratulated me on my weight loss success and noted that I looked good. Without hesitation, my friend added, "Of course she looks great. She's smiling again!" And that was the moment I realized she was right. I am smiling again... often. And it feels really, really good.

I have a new goal now -- Thanksgiving. It just seems fitting. I am going to strive to lose these last five pounds by the 23rd. I do have a lot to be thankful for. I have a God who gives me the strength to endure. I have a loving, supportive husband and two beautiful, healthy children. I have a family that surrounds me with unconditional love and acceptance. I have a handful of the best girlfriends any woman could ask for. I have rediscovered my passion for teaching, and I have a new outlook towards life. I have a second chance. Just as each of you.

Speech/Drama teacher Abby Rike, from this season's Biggest Loser, lost her husband and two children in a fatal car accident. She is now traveling the country talking to teachers and students about second chances. I identified with this part of her speech from last week's broadcast:

"The fact is that life is hard, and sometimes it's not fair. But I'm happy to tell you that even in your darkest hour, there is always hope. Today is your second chance to choose differently. You can choose differently! To overcome your circumstances, to overcome your hurts, and to become everything you always wanted to be."

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment